Part of our mission here at Daily Fuel has been to illuminate life and early career insights for our readers, and we're thrilled to announce that Sam Mooradian will be joining our current blogger, Christian Zilko, debuting Wednesday September 18th. We hope the sharing of their successes, failures, insights, and adventures will continue to inspire others on their journeys toward personal and professional fulfillment. Enjoy!

The Click

Writing jokes is easy. I could come up with 50 before you’re finished reading this.

Writing good jokes is a lot harder, but people still do it quite a bit.

Writing the joke you need, that joke that fits a situation perfectly, is almost impossible. But when it happens, there’s nothing better.

I’ve read a lot of interviews with comedy writers who talk about the feeling of writing a joke that they know will work. They spend most of their days pitching jokes that aren’t funny, then they tell one that just lands immediately. You can tell when it’s coming out of your mouth. It’s so perfect, and the reaction in the room is so tangible. It’s not a question of “this could probably work in the script.” It’s “this is the only possible thing we could have put here, and I can’t wait to show it to everyone I know.” You can feel everything clicking into place, and for a moment, everything in your creative life is perfect.

This is a great feeling, but it does not happen very often. I’ve written (and sometimes filmed) a lot of scripts that have one or two great jokes in the whole thing. I’ve been realizing that I used to be a serial settler. I’d write scripts that are pretty good, but I didn’t lose sleep over making every scene insanely great.

I’m currently in preproduction on a new webseries that was just picked up by my favorite student-run TV network. It’s a wild concept and a huge departure for me, and I can’t wait to share it with the world. But I was looking at the scripts last night, and I realized that of the four episodes, only one of them was off-the-charts great. They were all nice, and had their share of chuckles. But when people ask me about the show, I ALWAYS tell them about the good episode first.

I’m almost out of college and in the real world, and I had a moment where I said to myself “it’s time to stop settling.” I can’t keep writing pretty good scripts. I can’t film something where one episode is overwhelmingly better than the other three. So my partner and I stayed up very late and rewrote two of the episodes, and they absolutely clicked. Once we pushed ourselves, going the extra mile wasn’t that hard. And the payoff was so sweet that I guarantee you I won’t be settling for mediocrity again anytime soon.

Christian Zilko

Guest Blogger:

Christian Zilko

Former Settler, Current Writer
Quote left
Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
— Steve Jobs
Quote left